Des Plaines Illinois History
In the early history of Cook County, Illinois, the table country on the Des Plaines River, known as Proviso Township, was part of the city of Chicago. The Illinois and Wisconsin Land Company bought the land in this area in 1853 to build a railroad line between Chicago and Janesville, Wisconsin.
The plan to build the Illinois-Michigan Canal would connect Lake Michigan with the Illinois River. Similarly, the treaty included a plan to connect the mouth of the Illinois River into the Mississippi. A strip of land 20 miles wide was acquired by the Indians in 1853, with the Des Plaines River at the center of the strip.
While the Des Plaines River and other waterways served as signposts for early settlers, it was the railroad crossing of the river that would lead to significant growth, especially in Libertyville. In addition to its role as an obstacle to be overcome, it also played an important role in a number of other important events during its first years of existence.
Although trading posts and military forts had been scattered throughout the region since 1695, settlements of non-native populations grew after the 1833 Chicago Treaty, which essentially ceded the entire Illinois territory to the US government. It was the first major settlement in the area since the Battle of Des Plaines in 1812.
In the 1960s, the Park District continued to expand, and other parks still offer a place to play in the Des Plaines neighborhoods. The Comanche are now part of Lake Michigan Park and Lake Shore Drive Park, as well as other public and private parks and recreational facilities. In the 1970s and 1980s, a number of new parks, recreation centers and cultural centers were developed, including the Illinois State Museum and the Chicago History Center at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. This includes a museum about the lives and achievements of all the people of Desplaines who served our country from the Civil War to the present day. It is funded mainly by the Des plaines History Center, a collection of historical photographs and artifacts from around the country.
The history at the school is as follows: Almost everyone who enjoys the story has at least one history teacher in the Des Plaines Public School District.
The indigenous people of the area have been using the Des Plaines River as a travel route for ages, and in 1673 Father Jacques Marquette called it the "Portage River" and wrote that its banks had been flooded. While canoeing on the river, he met a group of Illinois Indians, whom he promised would return to find a mission.
At that time, the land between the road and the west side of the river was mostly open prairie, but right at the present site of Libertyville there was an oak grove that reached back to what is now Butler Lake. Portage boats could cross the Des Plaines River in a few hours or even days, sometimes even hours.
In the summer months, the idyllic river backdrop lured Chicago residents to the train to Des Plaines for picnics and camping. During the dry periods, Mud Lake was dry and the Chicago and Desplaines rivers were just a series of shallow pools. After the early settlers of Broadview came to the area, lakes and swamps in the area were drained by surface drainage of the Des Plaines River, allowing grain to be grown on the land.
When DuSable opened in 1833 and the Laughton Brothers Chicago Portage closed, reenactors were already representing life on the prairie. The River Thru History Rendezvous shows that this rendezvous was only part of Chicago's pre-city past, long before Chicago became a city. Pack your own favorite picnic and visit the next Historic Adventure sponsored by the Des Plaines History Center on Friday, June 2, 10: 30 a.m. to noon. Friday is Bebing School Day, so come early and pack a picnic for a day of fun and games, games and activities.
The Chicago and North Western Railway bought the railway line in 1832, which gave the station the name Des Plaines. Chicago & NorthWestern Railway bought and purchased this line in the late 1830s and early 1840s to give it the name Des plaines for the station.
In 1869, the Rand subdistrict name was changed to Des Plaines and the village of Des Plaines was incorporated. In 1869, Rand, a subdivision of Chicago & North Western Railway, changed its name to Des Plains and became the Plains Village. Rand subdivisions in 1868, but changed their name to Desplaines in 1869 ; in 1870 they were incorporated into the town of Rand and changed the name of the subdivision to "des Plainees." Rand Subdivision in 1840, with its subdivision name changed to the "DES PLAINes" in 1850; and in 1861 it was incorporated as a village in Des plainses.